Thursday, September 22, 2011

Adventures in online dating

You know, when I first started meeting people from online dating sites, I was a little embarrassed. I didn't want anyone to know that I was lame enough to meet guys online. But, it's becoming more and more common. I actually met my exes, T and C, online. So, I've reformed my prior thought of thinking people that meet online are losers. It really is a very convenient way to meet people. Plus, you already know quite a bit about them before your first date. Let's just hope they look like their picture! Haha.

As onboard as I am about this, my parents are definitely not. We had a big knock-down-drag-out when I met my ex. They're not quite as open minded about things as I am. But anyway, about 6 weeks ago, I started emailing a guy that lives near Dallas. We emailed for a few days, then moved on to texting and phonecalls. We seemed to get along GREAT. We're both extremely laid back and talked effortlessly about anything and everything. He told me after talking for about two weeks that he was surprised how comfortable he felt. It really did feel like we'd known each other months, not weeks. We decided that we wanted to meet because, let's face it, you can talk on the phone everyday but still not know for sure that there will be chemistry in-person. Since he lives in an apartment with one roommate, we decided that me driving there was the obvious choice, since I live with my parents lol. So, I told my parents, they again freaked out. I got a long lecture from my dad, but I went anyway.

I left right after work that Friday and headed to Dallas. From Houston to Dallas is about a 4.5-5 hour drive. We were both nervous and anxious before. He had a few drinks before I arrived, and had one waiting for me too. Alcohol always helps me loosen up. I had a little trouble finding his apartment complex, but called him when I finally arrived. It was probably 10pm. He came out to meet me at my car and help me with my stuff. When I saw him come down the stairs I was very happy that he looked just like his pictures. Tall, muscular, dark hair and eyes, and olive complected skin (he's Italian). So, we hugged and walked up to his apartment. I was extremely nervous since I was stone-cold sober. We talked, drank and watched tv for a bit. Things surprisingly, weren't awkward... YET.

Saturday morning, he went to the gym and I stayed and played with the kittens that he was fostering (makes him even sexier that he loves animals ;)). We decided to do something fun that day, so we went to Dave & Buster's. We played some games and played miniature golf. But, it was just so awkward. I can't really explain why, unless it's because we were sober again lol. That's awful to say, but really we had fun the night before. For dinner we had sushi, and that was good. Not near as awkward as D&B's. Went home watched a movie and then had sex. Even the sex was just awkward! Not BAD, just awkward. Like when you sleep with someone new and you're just not comfortable yet. Things didn't get better Sunday. He's kind of a homebody so we literally just sat around and watched tv all day and had awkward conversation until I left that afternoon. (I think I've overused the word awkward in this post but there's no other way to describe it).

We've continued talking through text and phonecalls. We've both talked about the fact that our last meeting was a tad awkward lol. So, I'm actually going up there again tomorrow for the weekend. I'm excited but nervous too. I want this weekend to be effortless like our conversations were before. I don't want another uncomfortable weekend. I plan on drinking if it gets awkward again lol.

Any suggestions or advice? Has anyone else gone through this type of situation? Where you really like someone, and have to work to get through the awkward phase?

Off subject, but day 3 on WW and I'm doing great on my plan. Hope I get a good loss this week! I'll have to be careful what I eat this weekend.

Happy Thursday! :)

3 comments:

  1. I never had much luck at online dating, I'm glad you have had success in it. It definitely feels tough to be comfortable and go with the flow when you both are feeling awkward, maybe talking about it face to face would help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it's a parents job to worry. So I can see where they are coming from. Personally, I met my hubby online and it was that "love at first sight" kind of chemistry. Couldn't be happier -- 4 years later. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the input, ladies! :)

    ReplyDelete