Friday, December 30, 2011

My attempt at a water fast= FAIL!

I did some research, a few days ago, on ways to lose weight quickly.

I came across what's called a "water fast". It's exactly what you're probably thinking it is. You go a certain amount of days, drinking only water.

No food. At. All. 

So, I decided to give it a try.. seemed easy enough. I watched youtube videos of people doing it and, on average, in 7 days you lose 18lbs. I understand this seems very extreme. And it is. But, it's actually GREAT for your health, if you do it 2-3 times a year. After the third day of the fast, your body begins releasing the built up toxins that are stored in your fat cells and heals your damaged organs. Your body goes into ketosis and begins burning your fat supply, therefore, making you lose weight. There are so many studies showing water fasting can solve/help many health problems, and help you live longer.

On Wednesday afternoon, after eating Mexican food (ugh), I decided to start one. Yesterday was my first full day on just water. It was hard and I was pretty hungry. By 3pm, I had a bad headache that didn't go away until today. I planned on doing a 3 day fast (72 hours), but I only made it about 44 hours. I did lose 3.6 lbs though! I thought my willpower was better than that, but my mind just kept telling me to eat. There are people that actually do 40 day fasts. There is no way I could go that long.

I mostly tried this because I still need to lose weight to fit into my bridesmaid dress, since the wedding is only 8 days away! But now that I know how many benefits water fasting has, I'd like to try it again. I broke the fast this morning with a breakfast bar. Then, I went to lunch and had a salad with grilled chicken and raspberry vinaigarette dressing. I'm going to try and keep from gaining the weight that I lost, back and possibly start another 2 day fast at the beginning of next week. I'm also going to hit the gym every single day until the wedding.

By the way, I'm nowhere near an expert on water fasting and I'm not even recommending it to anyone. I just came across it and it interested me, so I wanted to share, in case anyone is interested.

Here are a couple links to some informative sites about water fasting.

Here's a doctor talking about it too.

Has anyone else ever done a fast or been interested in trying one?

2 comments:

  1. Have you watched Fat, Sick and nearly Dead? The guy does a juicing diet which is much better for you than just water. Not store brought juices, but buying fresh veggies and juicing them up fresh. It is an amazing film. Most people going on such diets end up losing a lot of weight, healthily.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually have not seen that film. I'll have to check it out! Thanks for the recommendation :)

    ReplyDelete